9 Holistic Practices for Smooth and Wrinkle-free Glowing Skin
Wrinkles are not just a cosmetic problem. They are closely linked to the natural (intrinsic) ageing process as well as the ageing due to external (extrinsic) causes of ageing, like UV radiation from over exposure to harsh sunlight. Under the top layer of the skin (epidermis), lies the dermis, which is an extensive network of collagen, elastin, blood-supplying capillaries, cells that fight infections, cells that synthesize collagen, the epidermis and the extra cellular matrix or ECM.
Wrinkles appear when the skin loses its elasticity due to degradation of collagen, elastin and other structural components of the ECM, and the hydration (water content) is low. Value-added cosmetics or cosmedics along with oral supplements will thus be a more holistic approach for smooth and wrinkle-free glowing skin.
The 9 Holistic Practices
- Follow a healthy life style that includes a healthy diet, regular exercise and adequate sleep. A diet that includes a variety of fruits ensures that our body gets an adequate supply of vitamins and minerals apart from other nutrients. Regular exercise ensures adequate nutrient-rich blood supply to all parts of the body.
- Avoid fried, roasted foods, and foods with a high content of processed sugars. They cause severe damage to the long-lived structural proteins like collagen and elastin. The damaged proteins cause oxidative stress, low-grade inflammation (continuously for years together); and ultimately loss of elasticity of the skin and other elastic tissues.
- Adequate sleep ensures that the elaborate repair systems of our skin can repair and restore the skin to its original healthy condition. Maximum tissue repair happens when we are sleeping.
- Avoid exposure to harsh sunlight, wear protective clothing and use a value-added full spectrum sunscreen with a healing touch. UV exposure triggers a cascade of inflammatory pathways and cause long lasting damage to collagen, elastin and the ECM.
- Use a value-added moisturizer, anti-wrinkle rejuvenation cream or under-eye cream at home, especially before sleeping. This helps your skin to unleash its natural healing powers, especially if the product has Coenzyme Q10 (cutaneous antioxidant) and an array of Vitamins C, A, K & E, polyphenols and hydrolyzed collagen peptides. Ensure that you use a product that stimulates synthesis of collagen elastin and restores the health of the ECM. Regular hydration of the skin (plump skin) is a crucial factor for preventing and reducing wrinkles.
- Avoid repeated facial expressions like raising your eyebrows, which can cause deep furrows on your forehead. Use sunglasses when you are outdoors rather than squint against bright light, to avoid ‘crow’s feet’ and fine lines on the face. Use your reading glasses while using your computer or mobile phone rather than focusing with furrowed eyebrows.
- When you return home, use a value-added facewash having a healing touch. Wash off the dust, pollutants, make-up and excess sebum because they trigger a low-grade inflammation that interferes with the natural healing processes.
- The root causes of wrinkles are more than skin deep. Your Dermatologist or Physician may suggest anti-ageing supplements with vitamins, antioxidants, polyphenols and hydrolyzed collagen to stimulate production of collagen, elastin and repair the ECM. Many of the polyphenols are known to activate stem cells and reverse senescence.
A chronic disease in any part of the body affects the health of the skin as well. Follow your Physician’s advice and regularly take your prescription medicines for Diabetes, Hypertension, Stress or other disorders.
- Made by Hridaya Gupta and Noemi team